It's time to confess. I just came across these sketches that I did for my package designs for the ill-fated Polaroid Polavision line of products and to be honest about them, I must admit that I didn't spend weeks or even days thinking about them. The year was 1977 and I had designed hundreds of boxes by then, so it had become second nature.
The tape covers up copy that was not going to be used.
The studio where I did all of this work was a converted two-car garage measuring 20 x 24 feet. that I built with the help of a stone mason and a carpenter in 1961. We put in the skylight and the north-facing windows and it was never never used as a garage.
This is an inside view, showing all the clutter. In the background on the left is a rack for silk-screen prints with some prints hanging on the overhead door, and on the extreme right, a Lacey Luci enlargement camera that designers and illustrators used in those days.
These were the finished products. For the printer I prepared camera-ready mechanicals in the old-fashioned paste-up way. For twenty years I produced hundreds of Polaroid package designs, as well as other material in this setting, with occasional free-lance help.